One of Canada’s largest pest control providers has released a new list that no city should be happy to top.
With the announcement that Orkin Canada expects the next 12 months to be a ‘bumper year’ for bed bugs in Canada, the pest control company has released data to show the 25 most afflicted cities across the country.
- INTERVIEW: Al Gore talks Trump, climate change, and An Inconvenient Sequel
- Report: Economists predict Alberta to be Canada's fastest growing economy again
- $2 million worth of fentanyl pills seized in Canada
For those of you not in the know, bed bugs are: “parasitic insects of the cimicid family that feed exclusively on blood.” In the case of the most common bed bug, the blood they feed on is human blood.
To be clear, Orkin Canada’s data is derived exclusively from the number of commercial and residential properties that have received bed bug treatment directly from Orkin between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017.
Top ten bed bug cities in Canada
- St. John’s
The bed bug registry allows people to search for houses, hotels, and apartments that may or may not have had a reported case of bed bugs. It has information available for most major Canadian cities including Metro Vancouver and Toronto.
According to Orkin, tips for homeowners and vacationers include:
- Inspect thoroughly the beds, soft furnishings and framed pictures – look for insects, blood stains, dead bugs and eggs
- Keep all your luggage elevated and away from soft furnishings
- When returning home, leave your luggage in the garage and put all clothing in the dryer at the highest appropriate temperature for at least 15 minutes
Of Canada’s top 25 bed bug cities, an overwhelming number are located in Ontario (14), but it seems no major city across the country is safe from high levels of infestation.