9 Remembrance Day events in Calgary
Dec 19 2017, 10:44 am
Remembrance Day is a time for reflection on our freedoms, honouring those who fought for them, and appreciating the future we have because of them.
No matter where you are in Calgary, there are a plethora of events to pay your respects to former, current, and retired service members.
The Military Museums
- What: A Remembrance Day ceremony taking place at this collection of military tradition, history, and legacy. Following the ceremony, the museum will reopen, with free admission for visitors.
- Where: The Military Museums – 4520 Crowchild Trail South West, Calgary
- When: Service begins at 10:30 a.m., museum will be open after service
Field of Crosses
- What: From November 1 to November 11, a flag-raising ceremony with bugle and bagpipe will take place on Memorial Drive, culminating with the Remembrance Day ceremony. 3,200 white crosses, inscribed with the name, rank, regiment, date of death, and age of the approximately 3,200 Southern Alberta soldiers who have been killed in action.
- Where: Memorial Drive – between 3rd North West and Centre Street, Calgary
- When: Flag-raising ceremony is held at sunrise and service begins at 10:45 a.m.
- What: Marking 100 years since troops deployed from Battalion Park to fight in the First World War, this is the 4th such ceremony to take place in the park.
- Where: Battalion Park – 3001 Signal Hill Drive South West, Calgary
- When: Ceremonies begin at 10:30 a.m.
Juno Beach Academy
- What: A Remembrance Day ceremony hosted by the Juno Beach Academy, taking place in the solemn and beautiful Queen’s Park Cemetery.
- Where: Queen’s Park Cemetery – 3219 4 Street North West, Calgary
- When: Ceremonies begin at 9 a.m.
- What: An annual Remembrance Day ceremony at the Kerby Centre Gymnasium.
- Where: Kerby Centre Gymnasium – 1133 7th Street South West, Calgary
- When: Doors open at 10:30 a.m., service begins at 10:50 a.m.
Central Memorial Park
- What: Remembrance Day ceremony at Calgary’s oldest park.
- Where: Central Memorial Park – 1221 Second Street South West, Calgary
- When: Services begin at 10 a.m.
Southern Alberta Jubilee
- What: Remembrance Day ceremony featuring a parade march past (weather permitting) and wreath laying by political figures, veterans, as well as military, community, and civic leaders.
- Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium – 1415 13 Avenue North West, Calgary
- When: Doors open at 9:30 a.m., ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m.
Aero Space Museum of Calgary
- What: Hosted at Calgary’s Aero Space Museum, following the ceremony the museum will be open to the public, with admission by donation.
- Where: Aero Space Museum of Calgary – 4629 McCall Way North East, Calgary
- When: Services begin at 10:30 a.m.
Calgary International Airport
- What: Ceremony, comprising of a band, wreath-laying, and an honour guard featuring Calgary Police Service, RCMP, Calgary Fire Department, Calgary Emergency Medical Services, Royal Air Force, British Army, Canadian Corp of Commissionaires, 604 Royal Canadian Air Cadets, Canada Border Services Agency and the United States Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection.
- Where: Calgary International Airport – 2000 Airport Road North East, Calgary
- When: Ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m.