A little more rain in the forecast today than we’re use to, but there’s still plenty to do around the city this Friday, June 10.
From shopping all night to watching one of the greatest’s poets words come to life, here are five things to do in Calgary today.
- What: The night market will feature a great mix of vendors including skilled artisans, fine artists, urban and rural farmers, and food trucks. Around 60 vendors are confirmed with dancing in the street and a beer and wine patio at Cafe Gravity.
- Where: 9 Avenue and 10 Street SE, Inglewood
- When: Friday, June 10 from 5 to 11 pm
- Cost: Entrance is free
- What: Nine scripts were selected for this year’s festival out of 100 which were submitted. Through the Suncor Stage One Festival, Lunchbox Theatre has become Canada’s leading development source and producer of one-act plays. At the end of each season, Lunchbox Theatre holds a series of staged readings of new works and invites audience members to give feedback during a discussion period.
- Where: Lunchbox Theatre – 160 9th Avenue SE
- When: Friday, June 10 to Saturday, June 25
- Cost: Free
- What: Fihi Ma Fihi is a new performance art piece based on the poetry of Rumi, the 13th-century Sufi mystic, Islamic scholar, jurist and theologian. Rumi is the best-selling poet in the United States and La Caravan’s interpretation of the Persian mystic’s work will be structured as a multidisciplinary dance-opera, featuring vocal experimentation, choreographed dance, and installation art.
- When: Wednesday, June 8 to Saturday, June 11
- Time: Show 7:30 pm every day, additional 2 pm show on Saturday
- Where: Theatre Junction Grand – 601 1st Street SW
- Cost: $40 to $75
- What: See the Western Major Baseball League Okotoks Dawgs square off against the Edmonton Prospects on Friday night.
- Where: Seaman Stadium – 2111 N Railway Street, Okotoks
- When: Friday June 10, at 7:05 pm vs Edmonton Prospects
- Cost: $15 and up
- What: Enjoy a night of Blues heaven when Pierre Lacocque’s harmonica technique and musical imagination transport you there.
- Where: The Blues Can – 1429 9 Avenue SE
- When: Friday, June 10 at 9 pm
- Cost: $15
If you’re heading to the mountains today, a bonus item for you to check out.
- What: Get cozy in the park for two days of performances. The performance space is outside so bring a chair and blanket and dress appropriatly because the shows go on – rain or shine.
- Where: Cascade Gardens – Cave Ave, Banff
- When: Friday, June 10 to Saturday, June 11
- Cost: Varies – starting at $35