Work with us
Role: Staff Writer, Urbanized, East Coast
Location: Toronto or Montreal
Manager: Managing Editor
Urbanized is Daily Hive's hub covering the latest on real estate, housing trends, transportation, development, new construction projects, urban planning and architecture. Urbanized helps explain how and why our communities were built, where they stand today and what's being proposed for the future.
About the Role
You are a self-starter who strongly believes in our mission of fostering a relationship between people and their cityand are passionate and excited to do that through the power of journalism. You'll be responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. Reporting to the Managing Editor, you will work with our Editorial Department and be a key player in the day-to-day content production for our network. You're passionate about everything that Urbanized represents and above all, you know how to have fun while working and getting the job done!
What You'll Do
- Investigate and report stories in Toronto, the GTA and occasionally Montreal for Daily Hive’s Urbanized section
- Be a thought leader in the fields of development, real estate, transportation and architecture.
- Have a background foundation on government processes, city council workings, real estate trends, planning and transportation in Toronto and GTA.
- Break unique stories and exclusive features for Urbanized
- Build and oversee a roster of contributors, freelancers and guest authors
- Build and maintain relationships with key developers and stakeholders in the cities you oversee
- Work with the marketing and social media teams on content strategy
- Grow Daily Hive’s social media following in Toronto and Montreal
- Ensure articles written follow company guidelines and are ready for senior editorial staff to publish.
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to:
- Conducting interviews and attending events (following COVID protocols)
- Capture quality photos for accompanying articles, as needed.
- Attend editorial team meetings and pitch feasible story ideas.
- Flex your creative muscles to craft unique content and continuing series
- Keep up-to-date with news and events happening around the cities you oversee
- Monitor engagement of articles and accept feedback from the editorial team in order to make necessary improvements or adjustments to work.
- Increase brand recognition of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Minimum two years experience writing for a publication
- Familiarity with planning processes in Montreal and Toronto, including the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, Committees of Adjustment, Local Appeal Body, and Toronto City Council, is a strong asset.
- Understanding of municipal planning websites and real estate developer sites.
- Education or experience writing in planning, real estate, architecture or development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics.
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS.
- Excellent understanding of social media and its importance to journalism.
- Skilled with graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset.
Benefits of working with us
- Flexible work environment and vacation time.
- Competitive extended health, vision and dental benefits offered after the completion of the 3 month probationary period.
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
- Opportunity to be part of a relaxed (but hard-working) team that feels more like family than co-workers.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusivity and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.