Channels
× Select City
×
×
×
Crime, News

Man who made threatening phone calls to women in Lower Mainland faces 70 charges

Ebccbad01116919d9474e1016d1b29c7?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Eric Zimmer Jul 26, 2018 12:15 pm 1,677

A man who made a series of threatening calls over the phone to women in the Lower Mainland is now facing a total of 70 charges in connection with the incidents.

According to police, the “troubling” calls started in 2017, and the investigation came to light in February of this year.

Police said the man would accurately identify the woman by name and address, and claim he had been watching her through cameras he allegedly installed in her home.

He would then demand woman engage in sexually explicit conversation with him, or the victim – or a family member – would be killed.

At the time, police said that despite the disturbing calls, there was no evidence to support the claim that cameras had actually been installed.

Now, 33-year-old Qualicum Beach resident Joel Perry is facing the numerous charges in connection with the incident.

These include:

  • 31 counts of harassing/indecent phone calls
  • 18 counts of criminal harassment
  • 13 counts of uttering threats
  • 8 counts of extortion

Perry was arrested on May 16, following a “complex and technical” investigation. At the time, he was released without charges and a comprehensive report to crown counsel was submitted to the BC Prosecution Service for assessment.

Then, on July 17, 2018, BC Prosecution Services approved the list of charges against Perry.

“These incidents were very disturbing for the victims, many of whom were traumatized and felt unsafe in their own homes,” said RCMP Staff Sgt. Kirk Duncan. “As we move on to the next phase of the judicial process, we hope that the many victims find some closure.”

See also

Ebccbad01116919d9474e1016d1b29c7?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Eric Zimmer
Staff Writer at Daily Hive.

© 2018 Buzz Connected Media Inc.