This year, the event is celebrating its 10th anniversary and it’s all going down on Saturday, July 21st at Hastings Racecourse.
If you’re wondering how to win this event’s annual Best Dressed Awards, we’ve got all the tips and tricks to make you stand out from the crowd.
This competition will take places between noon and 3 pm on race day, where 10 celebrity fashion-industry judges will announce five men and five women whose outfits are on fleek.
Attendees can nominate themselves as well by filling out an entry form and presenting themselves to a second panel of industry-insider judges during this time.
Here, another panel of industry-insider judges will divide contestants into ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ categories. A raffle will then draw an additional ten names at random from the ‘Yes’ segment to compete.
Once all nominees have been chosen, they will be contacted each via text to inform them of the Style Stakes meeting point. Entrants must be present at the draw to accept their nomination.
A total of 20 semi-finalists (ten women and ten men, in honour of Deighton Cup’s 10th Anniversary) will be called at 2:30 pm to flaunt their looks on the Style Stakes Stage in front of the judges and a crowd of 6,000 people.
The most stylish woman and most dapper gentleman will be awarded the coveted Belle Du Jour and Gallant Sartorial awards, respectively, as well as $500 cash prize each. Both winners will be invited back the following year to become The Deighton Cup Style Ambassadors.
So, now that you know all about the process, how are you going to win?
Two industry experts have told us everything you need to know:
Prevail Hendricks (last year’s best-dressed winner, Swollen Members musician)
1. Break those shoes in. Trust me on this one, give your shoes a few good wears pre-event.
2. This is The Deighton Cup, not the office. Everyone can appreciate a grey worsted suit, just not at the track. Go for something that you can still get some wear out of though, like a Seersucker or a jacket in a Madras pattern.
3. If going with a significant other, complement but don’t match. Picking up on each other’s colourway and accent pieces is always a good way to go. Example: yellow fascinator/yellow boutonnière. Be subtle but effective.
Mandy Ross (this year’s event MC and fashion industry expert)
1. Make sure your fashion fits. Wear something that you will feel comfortable in all day. This isn’t to be mistaken for donning your finest athleisure wear to the track— the objective is to be comfy, not frumpy. If it’s too tight or not sitting right, leave it at home.
2. Classy is always in style. Elegance is key when coordinating your Deighton Cup outfit. It may be summer, but baring too much skin is not “in” for this event. Stick to sophisticated, chic and classic styles for a winning race day look.
3. Let your personality shine through. Follow general guidelines of what is appropriate attire for the track, but don’t let them scare you from showing your unique fashion sense. By accessorizing with statement pieces like a bold hat or fascinator, you can rock your personal style.
For a week after the event (July 22-30) 12 stylish attendees will be chosen from The Deighton Cup Instagram for the public to vote for the best-dressed person. The photo that receives the most votes by Monday, July 30 will be the winner of a $500 cash prize.
Here’s how to enter the People’s Choice Awards:
1. Anyone that attended The Deighton Cup can enter the People’s Choice contest by taking a photo of themselves and tagging #DCPeoplesChoice and #DeightonCup
2. The photo must be full length and include a single individual. Photos with multiple individuals or groups will not be entered into the contest, nor will images of partial body length
When: Saturday, July 21, 2018
Where: Hastings Racetrack
Time: 12 pm to 8 pm
Tickets: $65; buy online
Daily Hive is a proud media sponsor of the Deighton Cup