A man has been charged in the attack that left five people injured in Edmonton on Saturday night.
Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, a 30-year-old man, has been charged with five counts of attempted murder, dangerous driving, criminal flight causing bodily harm, and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, according to a news conference held by the RCMP on Monday.
This follows his arrest Saturday night, shortly after he ran into and stabbed a police officer, fled police in a U-Haul truck, and ran over pedestrians as he drove.
Four pedestrians were struck by Sharif, with two remaining in the hospital as of Monday morning, one in serious condition.
“Although this investigation is still in its infancy, at this time this morning I am able to confirm that Edmonton resident Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, a 30 year old male who currently holds convention refugee status, has been charged … under the criminal code,” said RCMP Supt. Stacey Talbot during the conference.
Talbot heads the RCMP’s Integrated National Security Enforcement Team in Alberta.
The attack is being investigated as an Act of Terrorism, though no terrorism-related charges have yet been laid on Sharif.
“The complexities of a terrorism investigation are vast,” said Talbot. “We continue to collect and gather information related to this investigation.”
“As the investigation unfolds and further information is garnered, and if additional charges are supported, they will be pursued at that time.”
Sharif will appear at the Edmonton Provincial Courthouse on Tuesday at 9 am.
Edmonton Police Service Inspector Carlos Cardoso said in the conference that the officer who had been stabbed, Constable Mike Chernyk, is recovering from the incident.
“The constable is doing surprisingly well and is receiving support from the Edmonton Police Service and his family,” Cardoso said.