What could be the most highly-anticipated food and beverage-related addition to Vancouver this season is getting closer to its opening.
Popina, a project backed by four all-star local chefs including Angus An, Robert Belcham, Hamid Salimian, and Joël Watanabe, is shaping up quickly.
The gourmet counter-service restaurant first garnered some buzz not only because of the names associated with the new eatery but also because of the plans for the structure itself.
Located just west of the Granville Island Public Market (between the market and Bridges), the kitchen and takeaway counters have been constructed inside repurposed shipping containers that boast a new vibrantly coloured exterior.
The new modular structure also features what will surely be one of Vancouver’s new favourite patios, as it features a stunning view of the cityscape across the water.
“We have been playing with the idea of a collaboration project for years,” says Angus An, co-founder of Popina Canteen. “Popina Canteen is a project that distills our years of fine dining experience into something that is casual and fun.”
This unique spot is part of Granville Island 2040, a long-term plan for the island’s revitalization, and this includes the transformation of the island’s northwest quadrant into an expanded and lively Market District.
We don’t have too many details concerning the grub, but the painted side doors tell us all we need to know for now: seafood, sandwiches, and ‘puffcream’ will be up for order come opening day.
While Popina couldn’t tell Daily Hive exactly when they’ll be opening, they did say it’s looking like it will be sometime in July.
We’ll keep you posted, stay tuned!
Address: Northwest side of the Granville Island Public Market, Vancouver
- There's a new spot for mouth-watering fried chicken in Metro Vancouver
- A new San Francisco-style seafood restaurant just opened in Gastown
- Here's where you can get $5 poké in Vancouver this week
- Massive parklet coming to Davie Street in Vancouver's West End (PHOTOS)
- Japadog's restaurant on Robson Street is getting its own parklet
- 124,000-sq-ft arts and innovation hub planned for Granville Island
- Granville Island redevelopment plan includes bridge elevator, public spaces, and market expansion
- Arts Umbrella gets federal funding for new $27-million Granville Island home