FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
Another Lights of Hope community celebration is just around the corner.
The returning event is an annual Christmastime tradition that’s been held outside St. Paul’s Hospital since 1998.
St. Paul’s Foundation will mark the launch of its seasonal hospital lights display on Friday, November 16 with a free event at the intersection of Burrard Street and Helmcken Street that includes a fireworks display from the hospital rooftop.
There will also be food trucks and carollers to add to the festivities.
Each year, the foundation’s Lights of Hope campaign raises millions of dollars for the hospital’s most immediate patient care and equipment needs. In 2017, the campaign raised a staggering $3.1 million for these initiatives.
The fireworks last for about five minutes and are launched from the rooftop of the hospital, and the light display consists of 200 illuminated stars and over 100,000 bright lights spanning a length of 10 km.
Each back-lit star is dedicated to the campaign’s largest donors, whether it be an individual or company.
The time- and labour-intensive process of installing the display revolves entirely around a small army of 150 volunteers, who begin the installation process six weeks in advance using donated materials.
The free, public event not only acknowledges and celebrates the donors and the funds raised, but it also significantly helps build awareness in the community.
Once lit, the light display will be illuminated every night – from dusk to dawn – until January 8, 2019.
When: Friday, November 16 from 6:30 pm and 8 pm
- Lighting of the display and fireworks: Arrive early. The ~5-minute fireworks show and display lighting begins at approximately 6:30 pm
- Festivities: 6:30 pm to 8 pm
Where: St. Paul’s Hospital Burrard entrance – 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver
Daily Hive is a Proud Silver Sponsor of St. Paul’s Hospital’s 2018 Lights of Hope
- A giant Ferris wheel is coming to Robson Square this month
- Over a million dazzling lights will shine at VanDusen Festival of Lights this winter
- Lantern festival in Surrey postponed due to 'unexpected technical issue'
- Canada's magical Christmas train will make its final stop near Vancouver
- A massive Christmas craft market is coming to Vancouver next month
- How to get tickets for Vancouver's magical new winter festival
- The magical German-themed Vancouver Christmas Market returns for 2018