Chinatown Today and Vancouver Asian Film Festival are throwing a movie night in Chinatown! Eat dim sum, attend the culture fair, play mahjong, watch live cultural performances, and enjoy a free family-friendly outdoor screening of Mina Shum’s Meditation Park, a charming story of one Asian Canadian woman’s journey to self-discovery filmed in our very own Chinatown and East Vancouver. You won’t want to miss this! More event details below.
Date & time: Saturday, September 1st. Event, performances and vendors start at 6pm. Movie starts at sundown, around 8:30pm. Event will run rain (indoors) or shine (outdoors).
Location: Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Courtyard (50 East Pender St). In case of heavy rain, the event will be moved inside to the David Lam Hall of the Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Vancouver CCC adjacent to the courtyard.
Seating: Chairs will be provided on a first-come-first-serve basis. Attendees are welcome to bring their own chairs provided there is space available.
Language accessibility: The movie is in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. Traditional Chinese subtitles will be available.
Food stalls (for sale from 6pm-9pm):
- Dim Sum by Chinatown’s Kam Wai Dim Sum
- Grandma’s dumplings, mango coconut sago and other desserts by Happy Woman Kitchen | 念慈廚房
- Asian-flavoured popcorn
- Lion Dance by Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu Club & Chau Luen Athletic Club (until 6:15pm)
- “Hot+Noisy” Mahjong Social with mahjong and ping pong by Youth Collaborative for Chinatown - 青心在唐人街 (until 8:30pm)
- Food stalls open (until 9pm)
- Vendors and stores open
6:20pm-7:00pm: Traditional Chinese musical performance by Toisan Benevolent Association
7:15pm-7:45pm: Musical Performance by Son of James band
8:00pm-8:20pm: Musical Performance by Vancouver Chinese Choir Association
8:30pm: Film screening of Meditation Park
Stores surrounding the courtyard will be staying open later combined with special vendors at the event. Support Chinatown’s local businesses! Presenting vendors include: Zodiac Gifts, Chinese Art Crafts, ExplorASIAN/Art in Chinatown, Animating Cultures
Times, vendors and performances are subject to change without notice.
- The courtyard is wheelchair-accessible.
- Portable toilets will be available on location.
- The nearest Skytrain station is Stadium–Chinatown station.
- Street parking is metered. There is a parkade across from Keefer Memorial Square, and underground parking is available at International Village.
Hosted by: Chinatown Today & Vancouver Asian Film Festival (VAFF)
Programming Partner: Youth Collaborative for Chinatown
Outdoor Screening Sponsor: Fresh Air Cinema
Venue Sponsor: Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Vancouver CCC
Made possible by a generous grant by the City of Vancouver - Local Government's Chinatown Transformation Team
This event is part of the Chinatown Summer Events, a series of fun and free cultural events from July to September to animate public spaces in Chinatown. Other events include "Hot+Noisy" Mahjong Socials by the Youth Collaborative for Chinatown and Chinatown Popup Market by hua foundation. For more information, visit www.chinatownsummerevents.ca