It’s fair to say Vancouver drivers get a little edgy at this time of year, as we all try to cram in last minute trips to the mall for Christmas presents.
And ICBC have now released their annual list of the most crash-prone intersections in the Lower Mainland – so you might want to consider avoiding these.
Topping the list is Knight Street / Knight Street Bridge / SE Marine Drive / SE Marine Drive Offramp / SE Marine Drive Onramp.
According to ICBC, there were 327 crashes at that intersection in 2016, amounting to an average of almost one crash a day.
ICBC notes that this list of crash locations doesn’t include collisions that happened in parking lots or involving parked vehicles.
That said, ICBC wants to remind people that overall in BC an average of 340 people are injured in 1,200 crashes during the holidays.
That’s 22 crashes and six people injured EVERY HOUR from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day alone, according to ICBC.
In a release, Lindsay Matthews, ICBC’s director responsible for road safety, said she’s asking drivers to consider their own behaviour and drive smart.
“Drivers should be prepared for the varied winter road conditions they’ll encounter,” she said. “If we want everyone to arrive safely – we need to start with our own driving.”
If you need some tips for winter driving, check out these guides:
- 12 tips for driving in the snow in Vancouver
- 8 maintenance tips and checks for driving in Vancouver this winter
- Winter tires required on BC mountain highways starting this Sunday
Top 10 crash intersections in the Lower Mainland
1. Knight Street / Knight Street Bridge / SE Marine Drive / SE Marine Drive Offramp / SE Marine Drive Onramp – Vancouver
2. Boundary Road / Grandview Highway / Grandview Highway Onramp – Burnaby and Vancouver
3. Brunette Avenue / Brunette Avenue Offramp / Brunette Avenue Onramp / Trans-Canada Highway – Coquitlam and New Westminster
4. 88 Avenue / King George Boulevard – Surrey
5. 264 Street / 264 Street Onramp / 56 Avenue / 56 Avenue Offramp / 56 Avenue Onramp / Trans-Canada Highway / Turning Lane – Langley
6. Boundary Road / Kingsway – Burnaby and Vancouver
7. Bowser Avenue / Capilano Road / Capilano Road Offramp / Capilano Road Onramp / Trans-Canada Highway / Turning Lane – North Vancouver
8. Trans-Canada Highway / Willingdon Avenue / Willingdon Avenue Offramp / Willingdon Avenue Onramp / Emergency Lane / Turning Lane – Burnaby
9. Broadway Street / Mary Hill Bypass – Port Coquitlam
10. E 25th Street Offramp / E 25th Street Onramp / Lonsdale Avenue / Lonsdale Avenue Offramp / Lonsdale Avenue Onramp / TransCanada Highway – North Vancouver