OHIP to eliminate coverage for up to a dozen medical services considered "inappropriate": report

Aug 21 2019, 7:24 am

Changes may be coming to OHIP coverage.

According to a report by the Toronto Star, the Ford government is looking to end OHIP coverage for “up to a dozen medical services” that the province considers “outdated and inappropriate.”

The Star reports the move is called “delisting” and the details are expected to be unveiled by the government “soon.”

“Any service that’s being considered is because it’s the best expert evidence that tells us they’re duplicative, outdated, or unnecessary,” an anonymous senior government source told the Star.

“The government would never accept any proposals that would negatively impact patient care.”

See also:

A proposal for the services to be delisted has been put forward by a joint committee of Ford’s government and the OMA, which represents Ontario’s 31,000 practising doctors, according to the Star.

“We’re confident that the proposals put forward are thoughtful and will actually improve the patient experience,” the Star’s source said.

The province is pressured to cut medical costs given the rising pressures from the ageing population.

On Monday, the Ford government said it would be moving forward with their controversial municipal funding cuts that directly affect public health and childcare next year.

It’s a move that Toronto city councillor Joe Cressy called “an attack on Ontarians.”

Earlier this year, Ford’s government proposed to end OHIP coverage for Ontarians when they travel outside of Canada, as most Ontario tourists already purchase private health insurance for out of country trips.

Currently, the program covers services required to treat conditions that were unexpected and arose while a patient was outside of Canada.