Ford failing Ontario's pandemic response during COVID-19 third wave: poll

Apr 12 2021, 1:10 pm

Most Ontarians are not happy with the way Premier Doug Ford is handling the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to the latest poll by Angus Reid Institute, 65% of respondents said Ford was doing a “bad job” when it came to his overall pandemic response.

Angus Reid Institute

The new poll signifies a major change in how Ontario residents feel compared to last year, when an April 2020 poll found that 78% of respondents said they thought Ford was doing a good job of handling the pandemic.

Angus Reid Institute

 

Ford is not the only government official Ontarians are unhappy with.

The new poll also found that only 46% of respondents believe that Ontario Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams is doing a good job in his response to the pandemic.

Angus Reid Institute

According to the report, “In Ontario, the sense that the government took too long to implement new restrictions drives negative views.”

A slow vaccine rollout alongside rising case counts and increased transmission of variants of concern, the Ontario Government implemented its second province-wide Stay-at-Home order on April 7.

On Monday, Ford announced that schools would remain closed and move to remote learning after the April spring break to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Ontario reported 4,401 new COVID-19 cases and 15 more deaths on Monday.

Stephanie MarcusStephanie Marcus

+ News
+ Coronavirus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT