Left Side Navigation
Left Side Navigation
Role: City Editor
Manager: Managing Editor
Who you are
You are a leader who is passionate about your community and creating stories that matter. You’re capable of handling multiple projects, and multiple staff members, at once while maintaining a positive attitude. You know that breaking news can happen at any time and you are more than ready to jump on it and ensure that you and your team can fulfill the task at hand. You’re a forward-thinker who enjoys working with stakeholders at all levels and are not afraid of challenges. Above all, you are passionate and knowledgeable about Toronto and the GTA and are ready to further foster the relationship between its people and their city.
What you’ll do
- Oversee and lead Editorial content in Toronto with the goal of elevating the Daily Hive brand and taking it to the next level.
- Work with your team of full-time staff writers and editors to ensure continuous improvement is being made both with internal processes and procedures with the goal of producing top quality content in a timely manner.
- Manage, train and mentor your team to elevate their performance, enhance their skills and grow and develop them in their career by building and maintaining strong relationships with direct reports.
- Assign stories to members of the team and allocate resources efficiently to ensure full coverage and maintain appropriate capacity.
- Maintain and build a roster of quality freelancers with strategic networks.
- Maintain a long-term editorial calendar that details articles, columns, editorials, photography and art needs.
- Work with the Managing Editor and EIC to develop content aligned with short-term and long-term goals.
- Work with the team to executive longer-form series and projects.
- Collaborate with the social media and video team for the purpose of driving traffic to the website, creating conversations and growing accounts.
- Occasionally write shareable articles in a concise, compelling, and structured format.
- Publish articles ranging from simple photo posts to news stories.
- Liaise with internal departments on the development of series and features.
- Work with a driven and highly motivated team to support overall editorial operations.
- Hold regular meetings with the local team, and participate in senior editorial meetings.
- Coordinate the editorial internship program with local colleges and universities.
- Attend events on behalf of Daily Hive, as required.
- Work weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Travel, as needed.
- Be a cultural champion and build the team based on teamwork, passion, dedication, hard work and the importance of having fun at work.
What you have
- Minimum five years experience working for a media organization, two years in a leadership role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
- Excellent understanding of social media and SEO and their importance to publishing
- Skilled with graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset
- Ability to efficiently and effectively proofread and edit content.
- Proven experience as an effective team leader as well as the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated digital media knowledge and expertise, including understanding of native content, content marketing, and social media best practices and tactics.
- Proven track record in taking initiative, high productivity, and meeting deadlines.
- A high level of accuracy, organization, and creativity while maintaining attention to detail.
The benefits of working with us
- Hybrid work environment with the ability to work remotely.
- Flexible work schedule and paid time off.
- 12 mandatory paid days off per year (Flex Days) to allow you to prioritize your health.
- Full benefits package (medical, vision, dental and extended health) starting after three months.
- Ability to be part of a fast growing company with a fun team and work culture and opportunities for growth.
Are you ready to dive in and become part of a fast-paced, growing media company? APPLY HERE. We thank all candidates for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
*PLEASE SUBMIT RESUMES AS PDF FILES*
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusivity and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.