Position: Managing Editor
Location: Toronto or Vancouver
Who you are
We're looking for a strong individual to come in to help lead the team and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Editorial department. You have a depth of knowledge and experience from previously working in the media industry and understand the fast pace of the news cycle and social media. You're a leader and someone who enjoys nurturing others and helping everyone reach their potential. You're a strong advocate for community and are passionate about journalism.
What you'll do
- Oversee and lead the day-to-day operations of the Editorial team to ensure high quality content and output, taking responsibility for both the successes and failures and putting in the work when needed, including producing, writing and editing and assigning stories as needed and overseeing the newsletter content across all cities
- Using data and analytics, work with the Editor-in-Chief and contribute to setting the Editorial strategy; and work collaboratively with senior management and the executive team to ensure the strategy is aligned with the Company vision and brand
- Create, track and report on KPIs for Editorial for each market, monitor and optimize performance to meet traffic, engagement and develop strategies on how to accomplish and reach these metrics
- Implement best practices, workflows, tools, and templates to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of the publishing process
- Directly manage and work with the Channel and City Editors to ensure Daily Hive is maintaining a competitive edge in relevant areas of focus and to ensure content is produced in the highest quality including but not limited to headlines, images, captions and SEO keywords
- Work cross departmentally with Social and Video teams to manage Facebook and Instagram accounts on a daily basis and ensure content is aligned across departments
- Collaborate with the Sales Department to develop saleable ideas and Supported Content including packaging thematic content and act as a liaison between the two departments regarding overlapping content and sales opportunities, including attending client meetings to educate and pitch as necessary
- Build and develop relationships with government agencies and public relations agencies
- Attend events on behalf of the publication or EIC as necessary
- Travel, as required
- Work evenings, weekends or holidays as needed
What you have
- At least 7 years working in the media industry
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism or a related field
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage and oversee a large team of highly motivated individuals
- Strong communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with and to members of the Executive team, senior leadership and junior writers
- Past experience writing and operating within the rapid pace of the news cycle
- Strong knowledge of SEO
- Ability to manage multiple projects, communicate progress, and identify challenges
- Positive attitude, and a leader who can motivate and inspire others on the team
Benefits of working with us
- Hybrid work environment with the ability to work remotely.
- Flexible work schedule and paid time off.
- 12 mandatory paid days off per year (Flex Days) to allow you to prioritize your health.
- Full benefits package (medical, vision, dental and extended health) starting after three months.
- Ability to be part of a fast growing company with a fun team and work culture and opportunities for growth.
If you are interested in joining our fast-growing company, apply here! We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted when there is an open position.
Please submit your resume as a PDF.
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusivity and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.