Role: Online Editor
Who you are
Daily Hive has an opportunity for an ambitious individual to join our Editorial Department in Vancouver full-time as an Online Editor. You will work with our Editorial Department and online editing department and be a key player in the day-to-day content production for our network.
The Online Editor will be responsible for ensuring all copy published on Daily Hive meets our standards for style, form, and function. The role calls for a mix of traditional front-page copyediting and SEO-friendly headline creation, and the ideal candidate will have the skills and knowledge to match.
What we are looking for
- Experience editing copy to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency, structure and syntax
- Minimum one year experience writing for a publication, freelance, or equivalent
- Certification or training in copy editing is preferred
- Working knowledge of CP and/or AP writing styles
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
- In-depth knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
- Skill in graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset
- Thorough understanding of web research, copyright issues and media law
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; ability to work with a wide range of editors, reporters, designers, and photographers
- A high level of accuracy, organization, and creativity while maintaining attention to detail
- Excellent understanding of social media and its importance to journalism
- Comfortable using standard photo editing tools and software
What you get to do
- Copy edit articles based on modified CP style
- Proofread and adjust articles for format and visual integrity, and support editorial staff in fact-checking content in preparation for publication
- Verify usability, credit, and assist in sourcing images for use in articles
- Ensure articles are using the best headlines and images
- Publish pending articles after ensuring content guidelines are met
- Review previously published material and edits to align with current style conventions
- Edit and write headlines for SEO and social
- Be able to step in and write articles when needed
- Ensure articles are written in compliance with Canadian media law and copyright regulations
- Be a team player who can have fun while working hard
- Publish stories onto Apple News platform
The benefits of working with us
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits starting after three months
- Collaborative environment and the opportunity to be part of a hard-working team that feels more like family than co-workers
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
Are you ready to dive in and become part of a fast-paced, growing media company? APPLY HERE. We thank all candidates for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
**Please update resume as a PDF file**
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusivity and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.