Work with us
You are a self-starter who strongly believes in our mission of fostering a relationship between people and their city and are passionate and excited to do that through the power of journalism. You'll be responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. Reporting to the Vancouver City Editor, you will work with our Editorial Department and be a key player in the day-to-day content production for our network.
This position requires evening, weekend and holiday work.
Role: Staff Writer (Weekend writer - Saturday to Wednesday)
Manager: Vancouver City Editor
- Investigate and report news stories, including timely breaking news events.
- Ensure articles written follow company guidelines and style and are ready for publication.
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to, conducting interviews and attending events.
- Increase credibility of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Capture quality photos and video for accompanying articles and social media posts, as needed.
- Contribute to Daily Hive social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok)
- Attend editorial team meetings and pitch story ideas.
- Flex your creative muscles to craft unique content.
- Keep up-to-date with news and events happening around the city.
- Monitor engagement of articles and accept feedback from the editorial team in order to make necessary improvements or adjustments to work.
- Travel on assignment as needed.
- Work weekends and evenings as necessary.
- Other tasks, as required by your manager.
- Minimum one year experience writing for a publication
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
- Excellent understanding of social media and its importance to journalism
- Skilled with graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset
Benefits of working with us
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits starting after three months.
- Flexible work environment and vacation time.
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
- Be part of a relaxed (but hard-working) team that feels more like family than co-workers.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.