Work with us
You are a self-starter who strongly believes in our mission of fostering a relationship between people and their city and are passionate and excited to do that through the power of journalism. You'll be responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. Reporting to the Vancouver City Editor, you will work with our Editorial Department and be a key player in the day-to-day content production for our network.
Role: Senior Staff Writer
Manager: City Editor
- Investigate and report news stories around the city, sometimes breaking at any moment and time.
- Publish posts ranging from breaking news stories to federal politics to development to more simple photo/video posts.
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to conducting interviews and attending events
- Maintain a long-term editorial calendar that details articles, columns, editorials, photography and art needs.
- Build and maintain a roster of quality contributors with strategic networks, acquiring through various means.
- Manage social media channels for the purpose of driving traffic to the website and creating conversation.
- Liaise with internal departments on the development of series and features.
- Attend editorial team meetings and pitch feasible story ideas.
- Contribute to the conversation about culture in Vancouver.
- Work with a driven and highly motivated team to support overall editorial operations.
- Increase credibility of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Embrace and encourage a culture based on teamwork, creativity, and having fun.
- Minimum 4 years experience writing for a publication
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
- Excellent understanding of social media and its importance to journalism
- Skilled with graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset
Benefits of working with us
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits starting after three months.
- Flexible work environment and vacation time.
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
- Be part of a relaxed (but hard-working) team that feels more like family than co-workers.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
**Please submit resumes as a PDF**
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusion and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.