Work with us
You are a self-starter who strongly believes in our mission of fostering a relationship between people and their city and are passionate and excited to do that through the power of journalism. You'll be responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. Reporting to the City Editor, you will work with our Editorial Department and be a key player in the day-to-day content production for our network.
Role: Trends Writer, National
Manager: City Editor
Location: Toronto or Vancouver (currently operating remotely)
- Report multiple trending news and lifestyle stories in an entertaining and timely manner every day
- Investigate and reporting timely breaking news events
- Follow viral and emerging trends on media and social media
- File evergreen articles across the country, on topics that could include outdoors, lifestyle and food
- Write clean, concise and COMPELLING copy
- Pitch story ideas that are compelling and will drive conversation
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to, conducting interviews and attending events
- Increase credibility of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Capture quality photos for accompanying articles, as needed
- Attend editorial team meetings
- Flex your creative muscles to craft unique content
- Keep up-to-date with news and events happening around the country
- Monitor engagement of articles and accept feedback from the editorial team in order to make necessary improvements or adjustments to work
- Travel on assignment as needed
- Other tasks, as required by your manager
- Minimum 3 years experience writing for a publication
- Ability to file multiple stories a day (3+) on deadline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of Google trends, Crowdtangle and other online news gathering and monitoring tools
- Excellent understanding of social media platforms including Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok, and their importance to journalism and storytelling
- Strong headline writing skills
- Intermediate knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
Benefits of working with us
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits starting after three months.
- Flexible work environment and vacation time.
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
- Be part of a fast-paced (but hard-working) team that feels more like family than co-workers.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted. **Please submit resumes as PDFs**
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusivity and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.