Work with us
Role: Vancouver City Editor
Manager: Managing Editor
Location: Vancouver (Currently operating remotely)
Who you are
You are a leader who is passionate about your community and creating stories that matter. You’re capable of handling multiple projects, and multiple staff members, at once while maintaining a positive attitude. You know that breaking news can happen at any time and you are more than ready to jump on it and ensure that you and your team can fulfill the task at hand. You’re a forward-thinker who enjoys working with stakeholders at all levels and are not afraid of challenges. Above all, you are passionate and knowledgeable about Vancouver and the GVA and are ready to further foster the relationship between its people and their city.
- Lead a team of staff writers and editors to provide top quality content.
- Manage and mentor members of the team to ensure continuous improvement is being made both with internal processes and procedures as well as content.
- Assign stories to members of the team and allocate resources efficiently to ensure full coverage and maintain appropriate capacity.
- Maintain and build a roster of quality freelancers with strategic networks.
- Contribute to the conversation about culture in Vancouver
- Maintain a long-term editorial calendar that details articles, columns, editorials, photography and art needs.
- Work with the Managing Editor and EIC to develop content aligned with short-term and long-term goals.
- Manage content for community sponsorships and media partnerships.
- Executive longer-form series and projects.
- Work with the social media team for the purpose of driving traffic to the website, creating conversations and growing accounts.
- Oversee editorial and media video production in Vancouver
- Write shareable articles in a concise, compelling, and structured format.
- Publish articles ranging from simple photo posts to news stories. Template, process, and acquisition of content support will be provided.
- Liaise with internal departments on the development of series and features.
- Work with a driven and highly motivated team to support overall editorial operations.
- Hold regular meetings with the local team, and participate in senior editorial meetings.
- Coordinate the editorial internship program with local colleges and universities.
- Attend events on behalf of Daily Hive, as required.
- Embrace and encourage a culture based on teamwork, creativity, and having fun.
What you have
- Minimum five years experience working for a media organization, two years in a leadership role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
- Excellent understanding of social media and SEO and their importance to publishing
- Skilled with graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset
- Ability to efficiently and effectively proofread and edit content.
- Proven experience as an effective team leader as well as the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated digital media knowledge and expertise, including understanding of native content, content marketing, and social media best practices and tactics.
- Proven track record in taking initiative, high productivity, and meeting deadlines.
- A high level of accuracy, organization, and creativity while maintaining attention to detail.
The benefits of working with us
- Opportunity: The opportunity to grow with a fast-growing company
- Opportunity to enrol in the Company’s group benefits program following a three month probationary period
- Collaborative environment and the opportunity to be part of a hard-working team that feels more like family than co-workers
Are you ready to dive in and become part of a fast-paced, growing media company? APPLY HERE. We thank all candidates for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusivity and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.