Work with us
Position: Staff Writer
Schedule: Thursday - Monday
Location: This is a remote Canadian opportunity for the right candidate willing to work Eastern Time zone.
Daily Hive has an opportunity for a creative and ambitious individual to join our Editorial Department as a full-time Staff Writer. Reporting to our Managing Editor, you will work with our Editorial Department and be a key player in the day-to-day running of our network.
The Staff Writer is responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. An ideal candidate should have extensive knowledge of Toronto and Vancouver, and superb writing and creative skills.
What you'll do
- Investigate and report news stories, sometimes breaking at any moment and time.
- Ensure articles written follow company guidelines and are ready for senior editorial staff to publish.
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to conducting interviews and attending events.
- Capture quality photos for accompanying articles, as needed.
- Post on social media as required.
- Attend editorial team meetings and pitch feasible story ideas.
- Flex your creative muscles to craft unique content.
- Keep up-to-date with news and events happening around the city.
- Monitor engagement of articles and accept feedback from the editorial team in order to make necessary improvements or adjustments to work.
- Increase the credibility of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Build and maintain relationships with industry professionals.
- Travel on assignment, when needed.
- Attend events on behalf of the Company as needed.
- 1-2+ years of experience writing for an online publication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent understanding of social media and its importance to journalism.
- Ability to interface with members of the public in articles both remotely and face-to-face.
- Creative muscles and ability to think outside of the box.
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS.
- Skilled with photography and photo editing is an asset.
Benefits of working with us
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits starting after three months.
- Flexible work environment and vacation time.
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
- Be part of a relaxed (but hard-working) team that feels more like family than co-workers.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.