Work with us
Position: Staff Writer
Positions Available: 2
Daily Hive has an opportunity for a creative and ambitious individual to join our Content Department in Toronto full-time as a Staff Writer. Reporting to our Toronto City Editor, you will work with our Content Department and be a key player in the day-to-day running of our network.
The Staff Writer is responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. An ideal candidate should have extensive knowledge of Toronto and Eastern Canada and have superb writing and creative skills.
What you'll do
- Investigate and report news stories around the city, sometimes breaking at any moment and time.
- Ensure articles written follow company guidelines and are ready for senior editorial staff to publish.
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to conducting interviews and attending events.
- Capture high quality photos for accompanying articles, as needed.
- Attend editorial team meetings and pitch feasible story ideas.
- Work with both the City Editor and Social team on Facebook and other networks publishing and assist with the newsletter.
- Keep up to date with news and events happening around the city.
- Monitor engagement of articles and accept feedback from the editorial team in order to make necessary improvements or adjustments to work.
- Increase credibility of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Build and maintain relationships with industry professionals.
- Travel on assignment, when needed.
- Attend events on behalf of the Company as needed.
- 1-3+ years of experience writing for an online publication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent understanding of social media and its importance to journalism.
- Ability to interface with members of the public in articles both remotely and face-to-face.
- Creative muscles and ability to think outside of the box.
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS.
- Skilled with photography and photo editing is an asset.
Benefits of working with us
- Medical/Dental/Vision benefits starting after three months.
- Flexible work environment and vacation time.
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
- Be part of a relaxed (but hard-working) team that feels more like family than co-workers.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.