While the world swoons over Justin Trudeau, half of Americans don’t even know who he is, according to a recent poll.
One of them is possibly even the White House Press Secretary.
In a survey by Public Policy Polling (PPP)*, American respondents were asked for their thoughts on both foreign affairs and foreign leaders.
US Citizens were polled mostly about their local politics, but when it came to questions about foreign leaders, Germany’s Angela Merkel was the most recognized by Americans with a 61% name recognition. Following Merkel is Trudeau at 51%, meaning he’s unknown to the other 49%.
The good news, however, is that those who do know who he is, Trudeau is doing okay in the favourability category. He is viewed positively by 31% of Americans and negatively by just 20%. According to PPP, Americans favoured foreign leaders over Trump.
“We polled Americans on how they feel about a quartet of foreign leaders, and found that all of them have better net favorabilities in the country than its own President does,” reads the survey results, which found voters saying they trust James Comey more than President Donald Trump by double digits, 51/39.
*Public Policy Polling surveyed 811 registered voters between June 9th and 11th. The margin of error is +/- 3.4%. 80% of participants, selected through a list based sample, responded via the phone, while 20% of respondents who did not have landlines conducted the survey over the internet through an opt-in internet panel.