December means the days of Christmas cheer, shining lights, hot chocolate, and the soul-crushing stress of finals creeping ever closer.
But it really doesn’t have to be that way — the terrifying stress, that is — every time the end of the semester rolls around. There are plenty of ways to take your mind off of the agenda-filling exams, essays, and dreaded group projects that inevitably come along this time of year.
- Swoop Airlines releases summer schedule with YEG flights starting at $59
- An epic new late-night arcade bar just opened in Calgary (PHOTOS)
- Win big at these Christmas trivia events in Calgary this month
The University of Calgary Students’ Union has put together a whole host of events to do just that, bringing StressLess Week back to campus from December 3 to 7.
Starting the week off on the right foot are free chair or hand massages courtesy of massage therapists in training at the MacHall Courtyard, as part of the SU Spa Day. Students will be able to put together DIY bath bombs while they wait for the tension in their muscles to be massaged away between 11 am and 1 pm.
Wednesday follows up with a build-your-own terrarium workshop from 11 am to 1 pm at the MacHall Courtyard — though it’s suggested to arrive a little early as supplies will be limited! Nutritional coach, personal trainer, and blogger Lucy Dunne will be on campus from 1:30 to 3:30 pm to discuss healthy living and how it factors into a stress-free lifestyle.
That Empty Space will be filled throughout StressLess Week with opportunities to get a sweat going, as yoga classes will be held on Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30 to 1:30 pm, and Piloxing will take place on Wednesday at noon.
Holiday cookie decorating and card-making is available on Thursday, December 6 at the MacHall Courtyard from 11 am to 1 pm. A mobile photo booth will also be on scene for students to take pictures with their Christmassy creations.
The entire week wraps up with a carnival in the MacHall North Courtyard on Friday, December 7, complete with video games, balloon animals, giant Jenga, and much more.
The “Are You Game?” Carnival is scheduled from 11:30 am to 2 pm and is completely free to attend.
And, of course, the furriest of the StressLess Week features will return this year in the form of Pet Therapy, with a few canine friends hanging around That Empty Space on Monday from 1:30 to 3 pm, Tuesday from 2:30 to 4 pm, and Friday from noon to 1:30 pm.
Given the wide variety of events planned, you’re more than likely to find something to take your mind off all that work (even for just an hour or two) during StressLess Week — all you need to do is show up!
When: Monday, December 3 to Friday, December 7, 2018
- SU Spa Day: Monday, 11 am to 1 pm — MacHall Courtyard
- Pet Therapy: Monday 1:30 to 3 pm, Tuesday 2:30 to 4 pm, and Friday noon to 1:30 pm — That Empty Space
- Yoga: Tuesday and Thursday, 11:30 am to 2 pm — That Empty Space
- Terrarium Workshop: Wednesday, 11 am to 1 pm — MacHall Courtyard
- Workshop with Lucy Dunne: Wednesday, 1:30 to 3:30 pm — That Empty Space
- Cookie Decorating and Card Making: Thursday, 11 am to 1 pm — MacHall Courtyard
- “Are You Game?” Carnival: Friday, 11:30 am to 2 pm — MacHall North Courtyard
Daily Hive is a proud media sponsor of the University of Calgary Students’ Union