Channels
× Select City
×
×
×
News

One person dead after fire at Vancouver homeless shelter

D8d194f40cb13417f79d4d8daee34fdb?s=96&d=mm&r=g
DH Vancouver Staff Apr 01, 2016 9:23 am

A fire at a downtown homeless shelter has left one person dead.

Vancouver Fire and Rescue Assistant Chief Joe Foster says crews arrived at the former Quality Inn on Howe Street just before 9pm, 20 minutes later the fire in a fourth floor suite was put out.

One Person was inside.

“We did a primary search, found a victim and brought them out. We performed CPR and unfortunate through the treatment and process he had succumb to his injuries.”

Foster says it’s too early to tell how the fire started.

“It involved a mattress of some kind and we don’t know the extent of how it started.”

No word on if the fire is considered suspicious, Foster says crews will investigate tonight.

Originally published on CKNW.com.

Dh newsletter logo

Get direct access to our top weekly content, contests, and perks.


D8d194f40cb13417f79d4d8daee34fdb?s=96&d=mm&r=g
DH Vancouver Staff
Daily Hive is the evolution of Vancity Buzz, established in Vancouver in 2008. In 2016, the publication rebranded and opened newsrooms in Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal. Send story tips to [email protected]

© 2018 Buzz Connected Media Inc.