There so many free events going on during Vancouver 2010 that we are bound to miss a few. One such example the is the Power Smart Village brought to you by BC Hydro. The Power Smart Village promises to be a vibrant and dynamic site and will feature numerous interactive and sustainability-focused pavilions.
· Club Energy is a sustainable dance floor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzb3VFi3Sew) that produces electricity as people dance. The amount of electricity produced is tracked through a meter linked to the dance floor.
· The Home of the Future showcases the future of sustainable living. The structure is made of recycled freight containers wrapped in cedar cladding and pine beetle wood and features numerous conservation-enabling technologies including GE”s smart appliances and the Chevrolet Volt.
· The Power Smart Theatre offers an energy-efficient outdoor theatre for passers-by to gather and watch televised Games events.
· The Conservation Lab provides an interactive audio-visual experience for people of all ages.
· The Kids Zone features fun activities for children including a seven-foot digital graffiti wall. Using an infrared marker people can tag the “expression wall” with their thoughts on sustainability.
· Two 18-foot Coast Salish welcome figures greet visitors to the Power Smart Village. The carved figures will honour the Games while showcasing native carving skills, artistry and storytelling.
· A Paralympic celebration display showcases the innovation and passion in Paralympic sport with features on BC Hydro’s Paralympic athletes.
The Power Smart Village is also one of the few celebration sites that will remain open during the Paralympics. The hours are:
Olympic Period (February 10 – February 28)
Sunday to Thursday 10:00am – 8:00pm
Friday to Saturday 10:00am – 10:00pm
Paralympic and Interim Period (March 1 – March 21)