Thursday is here, and you’re in need of a boost to get you through the work week. To help you out, here are seven things to do around Vancouver today, from a documentary film festival to a folk duo.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: Chutzpah! The Lisa Nemetz International Jewish Performing Arts Festival is the Lower Mainland’s winter music, dance, comedy and theatre festival presenting international, national and local artists.
- Where: 950 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver
- When: February 16 to March 13
- Tickets: Available online
- What: A huge range of comedians will perform at the second annual JFL NorthWest, including headliners Sarah Silverman, Trevor Noah, and Piff the Magic Dragon. Local stars also hit the stage in Best Of The West, including The Hero Show, The Ryan & Amy Show, and Graham Clark’s Quiz Show.
- Where: Multiple venues around Vancouver
- When: February 16 to 25 at various times
- Tickets: Online, $5 – $69
- What: A vibrant, two-week celebration of extraordinary Aboriginal performance.
- Where: 1425 Charles Street – Vancouver
- When: February 16 to 26
- What: A roots-country and folk music duet that performs a wonderful selection of traditional and songwriter material from Canada and elsewhere. Andrea Smith and Dave Lidstone present their music with strong harmonies supported by solid guitar work. In addition to accompanied vocal pieces, their concerts include a cappella and instrumental pieces.
- Where: Brittania Shipyards National Historic Site – 5180 Westwater Drive, Richmond
- When: February 16 at 7:30 pm
- Tickets: At the door, $10
- What: Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s annual documentary film festival. KDocs at Vancity Theatre showcases 12 award-winning documentaries, along with guest speakers, filmmakers, panel discussions, Q&As, and exhibitors.
- Where: Vancity Theatre – 1181 Seymour Street, Vancouver
- When: February 16 to 19
- Tickets: Online, $5-$12
- What: In response to Erdem Taşdelen’s ‘The Quantified Self Poems’, poet Daniel Zomparelli will speak about his work with Taşdelen and the central role collaboration plays in his creative practice. Zomparelli and frequent collaborator Dina Del Bucchia will follow with a reading from recent work.
- Where: Contemporary Art Gallery – 555 Nelson Street, Vancouver
- When: February 16 at 7 pm
- Tickets: Online, Free
- What: Warner Music Canada recording artists Billy Talent are starting off their year on a high note, heading out on a coast-to-coast Canadian tour that will take them all the way across the country. With guests Monster Truck and The Dirty Nil.
- Where: Abbotsford Centre – 33800 King Road, Abbotsford
- When: February 16 at 7 pm
- Tickets: Online, $40.50-$70.50