The RCMP is requesting the public’s help after a man was found dead following a tent explosion in Squamish.
The incident occurred on Friday January 21 at 11:59 pm, when a deceased man was located in a tent, at 1580 Hwy 99, Squamish.
According to a release, the alarm was raised by a passerby who was walking home and spotted a fire in the bush area, across from the Shell gas station in Squamish. The man then heard an explosion (believed to be from propane canisters in the tent) and went to investigate. He immediately called the Squamish Fire Department and the Squamish RCMP.
The police were on scene, four minutes after the call was dispatched and the fire was initially extinguished with a fire extinguisher. BC Ambulance Services was called to scene but was stood down, with the discovery of the deceased body.
This fire is not deemed suspicious at this time but at this time, the body has not been identified.
“This is a tragic situation. Every year we experience deaths like this. We observe homelessness daily,” said S/Sgt. Jolaine Percival, Detachment Commander, Squamish RCMP.
“What we need now is the help from the public to assist us in identifying him, so we can properly advise his family. We know that he had a Mountain Equipment Coop Navy blue backpack, had an acoustic guitar, smoked cigarettes and likely worked in construction as a result of numerous clothing items around the camp site.”
Police are looking for anyone who might be able to provide a name or information on the identification of this deceased Squamish man.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Squamish RCMP Detachment at 604-892-6100