Heartbreaking news for fans of the teen idol sensation: The four remaining members of British-Irish boy band One Direction are reportedly taking a hiatus for at least a year.
A source told the U.K. Sun on Sunday that Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan have “mutually” agreed on a temporary breakaway in order to work on their own projects. They have been together for five years and have sold over 50 million records in that time.
Zayn’s sudden departure from One Direction in March 2015 to pursue “normal life” was not the reason for the band’s upcoming break, according to the source.
“The guys have been together for five years, which is an incredible run for any boy band,” the source told The Sun. “They fully deserve to have at least a year to work on their own projects.”
“There is absolutely no bad blood between them and they are all 100% behind the decision. It is definitely not a split and they fully intend to get back together at some time in the future. But for now it is the end and they go out on top as the world’s most popular music act.”
This means the band will not be touring in 2016 to support their fifth album, which is expected to be released before the Christmas season. A formal announcement on the hiatus is expected in the coming weeks.
Each band member is expected to take different directions once they become free agents.
Harry is reportedly aiming to release his own music or attempting to start a career in Hollywood acting. Niall is also looking to launch his own solo career while Liam wants to focus on songwriting, producing and becoming a DJ.
Louis could form his own record company within Simon Cowell’s Syco record label, and he is expecting to become a father with ex-girlfriend Briana Jungwirth. There is speculation he will join the U.K.’s X-Factor as a judge.
One Direction performed to a nearly sold-out audience at Vancouver’s B.C. Place Stadium last month as part of their On The Road Again Tour.