Channels
× Select City
×
×
×
Jobs, Sponsored

4 in-demand careers that pay over $50K a year

969a6ef651ad94df4b08aed25feff42a?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Daily Hive Custom Content Nov 21, 2016 2:27 am 14,941

Imagine being paid to work in a cool career before you’re fully qualified.

It might sound too good to be true, but that’s not the case when pursuing and working a skilled trade – many of which pay you even before graduating high school.

Right now the skilled trades industry offers some of the fastest growing career opportunities in BC. Not only this, but these rewarding careers have a high earning potential that can provide you with a strong financial outlook.

Many skilled trades require training, but it’s anything but traditional. The average apprenticeship consists of 20% classroom training that does require a few textbooks, whereas the rest consists of 80% hands-on technical training. This split makes it a win-win situation since you’ll earn an income as an apprentice, before you’ve even earned your certification.

Daily Hive teamed up with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) to find out about these top skilled trades careers.

Heavy duty equipment technician

Salary: $62K per year, $18 to $40 per hour, 40 hours a week (potential for on-call and shift work)

No need to wait until you’ve graduated high school to get started – in many cases you can begin your apprenticeship before you’ve graduated. When a bulldozer breaks down you can’t call any old mechanic – instead, you call a heavy duty equipment technician. When forestry, mining or landscaping operations grind to a halt, a heavy duty equipment technician will get the call. Heavy duty equipment technicians repair and maintain heavy-duty equipment used in all sorts of industries including transportation, forestry, manufacturing, farming, mining and construction. If this career sounds interesting to you, then check out its program details online.

Sprinkler system installer

Salary: $73K per year, $17 to $45 per hour. 40 hours per week (some night and weekend work required)

This career is crucial in keeping everyone safe. Sprinkler system installers install sprinklers in buildings of all sizes to help stop fires from spreading. Setting these up can be quite complicated and you’ll be expected to make sure the system will help save lives, if needed. You can work for factories, industrial plants, hospitals, schools, or sprinkler system contractors. Not only this, but you can run your own business, too. Check out these ITA program details to learn more and find out how to get started.

Carpenter

Salary: $52K per year, $15 to $35 per hour. 40 hours per week (mostly weekdays – can be seasonal)

Carpenters contribute to nearly every building we see, most notably some very important ones. From hospitals to homes, carpenters are essential for bringing structures to life. As a carpenter you get to renovate, construct and repair structures made of wood, steel, concrete, and other materials. You can get a head start on an apprenticeship by checking out these ITA program details online.

Industrial mechanic – Millwright

Salary: $67K per year, $18.50 to $40 per hour. 40 hours per week (potential for on-call and shift work)

Industrial mechanics have a diverse skill set. They install, repair, overhaul and maintain a massive range of machinery and are truly jack-of-all-trades. This is because they’re electricians, plumbers, machinists, and mechanics – all rolled into one. You’ll be great at this career if you enjoy working with machinery, possess strong trouble shooting skills, have great communication skills, good hand-eye coordination, along with strength and agility. Check out these ITA program details online to find out how you can start your apprenticeship before graduating from high school.


Check out these cool trades along with many others online via ITA. Get in touch about ITA youth programs by emailing [email protected] and call 1-866-660-6011 for more information.

You can find the ITA on the 8th floor of 8100 Granville Avenue in Richmond. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm. Stay in the know about skilled trade careers via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Custom Content CORRECT

969a6ef651ad94df4b08aed25feff42a?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Daily Hive Custom Content

© 2018 Buzz Connected Media Inc.