With the cold weather battering Vancouver right now, the city’s homeless shelters are being stretched to the limit.
Vancouver’s cold, damp winters take a huge toll on those living on the street, and when they seek assistance, it’s critical that shelters have items people need on hand.
So what can you donate? And where?
“Donating things like blankets and warm clothing are the biggest things people can do to help,” John Johnston, from Triage Shelter, told Daily Hive.
Jackets, waterproof garments, and pairs of fresh clean socks are other items that are in demand at this time of year as well.
With numerous shelters throughout the city, it’s not hard to find a location near you.
And while they’ll more often than not happily accept your donation, it’s always a good idea to call ahead and see what they’re need most.
What to donate
Cold weather means keeping warm from head to toe. It also means staying dry. Here’s what you can give to help others during the winter weather.
- Fresh pairs of clean socks
- Waterproof garments
- Gloves/ mitts
Where to donate in Vancouver
- Aboriginal Shelter – 201 Central Street, Vancouver: 604-682-5556
- First Baptist Church – 969 Burrard Street, Vancouver: 604-683-8441
- First United Church – 320 East Hastings St: 604-681-8365 After 4 pm: 604-839-6880
- Lookout Al Mitchell Place Shelter – 346 Alexander, Vancouver: 604-681-9126
- Lookout Yukon Shelter – 2088 Yukon Street (at 5th), Vancouver: 604-264-1680
- New Fountain– 51B W. Cordova Street: 604-331-1246
- Salvation Army Belkin House – 555 Homer, Vancouver: 604-681-3405
- Salvation Army Crosswalk – 136 E Cordova, Vancouver: 604-669-4349
- Triage – 707 Powell, Vancouver: 604-254-3700
- 412 Women’s Emergency Shelter – Downtown Eastside: 604-715-8480
- Powell Place – The Bloom Group – Downtown East Side: 604-606-0403
- Salvation Army Belkin House – Vancouver: 604-694-6623
- Springhouse – The Bloom Group – Mount Pleasant: 604-606-0412
- Vi Fineday – Kitsilano: 604-736-2423
- Welcome House for Immigrants – 530 Drake St, Vancouver: 604-684-7498
- Catholic Charities Men’s Hostel – 828 Cambie, Vancouver: 604-443-3292
- Salvation Army Beacon – 138 E. Cordova, Vancouver: 604-646-6846
- Salvation Army Haven – 128 East Cordova, Vancouver: 604-646-6806
- Union Gospel Mission – 601 East Hastings, Vancouver: 604-253-3323
Metro Vancouver shelters
- ASH (Aboriginal Youth Safe House) – Vancouver: 604-254-5147
- All Nations Youth Safe House – Surrey: 604-584-2625
- Covenant House Female Crisis Program – 575 Drake, Vancouver: 604-685-7474
- Covenant House Male Crisis Program – 326 W. Pender St, Vancouver: 604-647-4480
- Directions Youth Centre – 1138 Burrard St, Vancouver: 604-633-1472
- Marc’s Place-Southwest Vancouver: 604-261-7827 (604-660-4927 after 10 pm)
- North Shore Youth Safe House – North Vancouver: 1-877-78-YOUTH (96884)