Channels
× Select City
×
×
×
News

Canadians think selling sex should be legal, but buying is criminal: survey

D8d194f40cb13417f79d4d8daee34fdb?s=96&d=mm&r=g
DH Vancouver Staff Jun 02, 2014 1:23 pm

The findings of a federal government Justice Department online survey indicate that a majority of Canadians think selling sex should be legal, but buying such services should remain as a criminal offence.

According to a report obtained by The Canadian Press, 66 per cent of the survey’s 31,172 respondents believe offering prostitution services should not be an offence.

56 per cent thought purchasing sexual services should be a criminal offence, with the remaining 44 per cent indicating that it should not be criminal. A majority of 62 per cent also felt it should be a crime for pimps to profit from prostitution.

The survey was conducted earlier this year, ahead of the federal government’s expected new legislation on prostitution.

In December 2013, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down the federal government’s proposed prostitution laws, saying that banning brothels violated sex workers’ right to security of the person. The government was then given one year to come up with new laws.

 

 

Featured Image: Condoms in pocket via Shutterstock

Dh newsletter logo

Get direct access to our top weekly content, contests, and perks.


D8d194f40cb13417f79d4d8daee34fdb?s=96&d=mm&r=g
DH Vancouver Staff
Daily Hive is the evolution of Vancity Buzz, established in Vancouver in 2008. In 2016, the publication rebranded and opened newsrooms in Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal. Send story tips to [email protected]
© 2018 Buzz Connected Media Inc.