ICBC has released a list of Metro Vancouver’s most dangerous shopping centre parking lots for pedestrians.
The statistics are based on a five-year period between 2008 to 2012 and total to 16,128 crashes at 12 major shopping centres and 1,084 injured victims including 129 pedestrians.
Metropolis at Metrotown ranks at the top of the list and accounts for approximately a quarter of the statistics. However, it is also by far the region’s most-visited shopping centre with 10,000+ visits per day and is Canada’s second largest mall.
The data was released by ICBC in light of November 22’s pedestrian accident at Meadowtown Centre in Pitt Meadows involving a 2-year old boy and his mother. The toddler did not survive the accident.
1. Metropolis at Metrotown in Burnaby
2. Coquitlam Centre in Coquitlam
3. Park Royal Mall in West Vancouver
4/ Richmond Centre in Richmond
5/ Guildford Mall in Surrey
6/ Willowbrook Mall in Langley
7. Oakridge Mall in Vancouver
8. Brentwood Mall in Burnaby
9. Yaohan Centre in Richmond
10. Meadowtown Centre in Pitt Meadows
11. Morgan Crossing in Surrey
12. Seven Oaks Mall in Abbotsford
Featured Image: Fuyu Yu / Shutterstock