Doug Ford broke campaign rules by attending a Progressive Conservative fundraiser in Scarborough last month.
According to a Toronto Star report, PC organizer Srini Suppiramaniam was fired Wednesday shortly after the inquiry about the event.
The PC leader hopeful was at a dinner event on April 29, which was the same night as the Toronto Strong vigil for victims of the van attack at Mel Lastman Square.
“We have just been made aware that the leader was misinformed by the organizer about the nature of the event,” said PC campaign spokesperson Melissa Lantsman told The Star. “The organizer has been removed from the campaign team effective immediately.”
Under Ontario’s Election Finances Act, leaders of a registered party are not allowed to attend fundraising events.
“Doug Ford and the Ontario PC Party always follow Elections Ontario fundraising rules, and as such we are filing an infraction,” Lantsman told the Star.
“Any money raised at the event that was given to the campaign as a donation will be returned to the donors and we will not accept any money from these guests going forward.”
Lantsman continued to say that “Doug Ford takes full responsibility for what happened,” and that the party “will be putting protocols in place to ensure this never happens again.”
Despite breaking the ban, current polls suggest that Ford will be premier following the June 7 election.