Daily Hive is the premier Canadian digital media publication for millennials. We are laser focused in delivering quality hyperlocal content to serve more than 2.5 millions visitors per month. With over 40 full-time employees and over 50 part-time staff and contributors, we’re going full speed ahead in 2018.
We are seeking experienced and passionate editors who know how to make a sentence sing across a variety of online platforms. The ideal applicant is comfortable working in a fun, fast-paced environment alongside an energetic team. We are looking for candidates who have mastered the fundamentals of copyediting, but are also well-versed in modern SEO best practices.
The Online Editor will be responsible for ensuring all copy published on Daily Hive meets our standards for style, form, and function. The role calls for a mix of traditional front page copyediting and SEO-friendly headline creation, and the ideal candidate will have the skills and knowledge to match.
This is a 12-month contract position based in Vancouver or Toronto.
- Copy edit articles based on modified CP style
- Proofread and adjust articles for format and visual integrity, and support editorial staff in fact-checking content in preparation for publication
- Verify usability, credit, and assist in sourcing images for use in articles
- Publish pending articles after ensuring content guidelines are met
- Review previously published material and edits to align with current style conventions
- Edit and write headlines for SEO and social
- Be willing to take some risks and bring the product to new levels
- Minimum 1 year of relevant industry experience
- Degree or diploma in English, communications, journalism, or relevant field (or equivalent experience)
- Ability to efficiently and effectively proofread and edit content
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Deep understanding of digital and social media
- A high level of accuracy, organization, and creativity while maintaining attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work with a very range of editors, reporters, designers, and photographers within an expanding organization
- Experience with the use of WordPress
- Comfortable using standard photo editing tools and software
- Thorough understanding of web research and copyright issues
- Familiarity with Slack, Trello, and AirTable is a plus
Benefits of working with us
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company
- Flexible work environment and vacation time
- Opportunity for further education and training
- Be part of a hard-working team that feels more like family than co-workers
Are you ready to dive in and become part of a fast-paced, growing media company? Email your resume, salary expectations, and links to your portfolio or published work and social media channels to [email protected], subject line “Online Editor.” We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted January 8, 2017