× Select City

MUHC warns of risk of carbon monoxide poisoning while shovelling snow off cars

DH Montreal Staff Jan 15, 2018 11:26 am 137

With the recent snowfall, Montrealers will be warming up their cars for a little longer in order to clear off the snow.

But McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) is sending a warning about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning while vehicles are kept running during shovelling.

Carbon Monoxide is colourless and odourless, making it hard to detect.

MUHC recommends the following when removing snow near or off of your car:

  • In wintertime, remove the snow from your car before you start your engine.
  • Never leave your engine running inside the garage, even if the garage door is open

It is also important to remove the snow that has accumulated around the car and the tailpipe before starting the engine.

If your tailpipe is not cleared, CO can seep into your car while driving, resulting in dangerous and fatal consequences.

See also

DH Montreal Staff

© 2018 Buzz Connected Media Inc.