It’s the first Friday of 2017! Hit the town tonight, or keep it low key and recuperate from the holidays. Whatever you’re in the mood for, there’s something for you to do today.
This Calgarian holiday tradition continues to live on year after year! Stay warm by dressing in layers and consuming delicious hot chocolate, as you roam through the 200 beautiful light displays, such as the all time favourite, ‘lovers lane’, and other unique light shows set up throughout the Calgary Zoo.
- Where: The Calgary Zoo – 210 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: Now until January 8 nightly from 6 to 9 pm
- Cost: $14.99 Adults, $11.99 Kids
Is one of your New Years resolutions to try something totally out of your comfort zone or to pick up an old hobby that has fallen by the wayside? If taking a dance class fit’s under one of these categories be sure to check out DJD’s $5 class week, as it is the perfect opportunity to try out a few dance classes without committing to an entire season. You will have the opportunity to try some of the classic styles, such as ballet, jazz, tap or hip hop, switch it up a bit with West African, Soca, Dance Hall and Krump or shake it like Beyonce in their fun Diva Style Hip Hop class. There is something for everyone!
- Where: DJD Dance Centre – 111 12th Avenue SE
- When: January 2 to 7
- Cost: $5
If you’re new to the world of snowshoeing or cross-country skiing or don’t feel comfortable venturing out on your own, book yourself on a tour or find a group of friends and reserve a private outing. A certified guide will lead you through the mountainous winter wonderland and provide you with hot chocolate and cookies, along with snowshoes and skis if you don’t have your own.
- Where: Kananaskis Village Center – 1 Mt. Sparrowhawk Cresent
- Group: $69.00/person; $39.00/6-14 years old; Free for 5 and under.
- Private: $89.99/adult; $64.99/youth 6-14 years; Free for 5 and under. Minimum booking of 2 adults or $180/tour. 20% off for private tours of 4-6 people.
Get ready to hear hit songs from the soundtracks that played over the most culturally defining events of the last 60 years, from classic to contemporary cinema. Complete with recreated iconic moments and instantly recognizable costumes, Stage West is featuring unforgettable music from the James Bond Films, Saturday Night Fever, 8 Mile, The Breakfast Club, A Hard Day’s Night, Despicable Me 2, The Graduate, Top Gun, Easy Rider, Ghostbusters, Dirty Dancing, Frozen, The Bodyguard, Titanic & so many more!
- Where: Stage West – 727 42 Avenue SE
- When: Now until February 7, 2017
Catch some lacrosse action as the Roughnecks are back at it for another year and stronger than ever. Cheer them on in their two home games this January!
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SW
- Friday, January 6 at 7pm vs. Vancouver