× Select City
News, Politics

Notley assembling task force as next step in BC pipeline dispute

Chandler Walter Feb 10, 2018 8:11 am 273

Just two days after stating that additional moves may be made in the Alberta/BC pipeline feud, Rachel Notley has announced that she would be forming a task force meant to put further pressure on the BC government.

The announcement stated that the task for would be in direct response to “BC’s unconstitutional attack on the Trans Mountain Pipeline and the jobs that go with it,” (I.e. BC announcing restriction to bitumen transportation within the province) the government said in a release.

See also

Included in the task force are Former Premier of New Brunswick Frank McKenna, Former Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan, former Syncrude Canada president Jim Carter, and legal scholar Peter Hogg.

According to Notley, the team will be consulted on what further measures the government of Alberta should take following Notley’s boycott of BC wine earlier this week.

“In response to British Columbia’s unconstitutional attack on our energy industry and the Canadian economy, Alberta is preparing retaliatory measures,” Notley said in the release.

“This is BC trying to usurp the authority of the federal government and undermine the basis of our Confederation. Ottawa needs to say clearly and unequivocally that BC’s actions won’t stand.”

Notley has also been tweeting support emails from BC residents ever since Wednesday’s interview with CBC, which she coincidentally had been taking part in at the exact same time that Horgan was addressing the dispute.

Horgan stated that BC would not be retaliating nor backing down from their initial announcement on the restrictions.

Chandler Walter
Staff Writer with Daily Hive. Langara Journalism Graduate, subpar photographer, and extremely mediocre tweeter. He wishes he knew how to whistle (even just a little bit) or type with all ten fingers. And yes, like from 'Friends.' Email your story to [email protected]

© 2018 Buzz Connected Media Inc.