Mayor Naheed Nenshi released his year in review video today and for the first time it was done as a live year end report to all Calgarians by video.
Nenshi talked about the major issues Calgarians’ and the city faced in 2016. He talked about how Calgary is a place of opportunity and that is what The City of Calgary is working towards.
Unemployment has plagued the city but Nenshi remains optimistic and believes Calgarians will persevere.
The top three most important city issues Calgarians faced this year were: Infrastructure (traffic and roads), Transit and Crime-Safety-and Policing.
Nenshi outlined what the city’s priorities have been for 2016, listing the 5 major ones.
Living in a prosperous city for everyone
- Don’t make things worse – people need services like public transit
- Build things – build infrastructure that we need
- Selling Calgary to others and ourselves- promoting Calgary for investing and for entrepreneurship
- Keep a well run city – access to community housing
Living in a city that moves
- Major transportation milestones have been made in 2016
- Calgary Transit improvements in the NW, 4 car trains, and green line planning
- 8th street pedestrian path way
- Cycle track pilot project and council’s approval of the project
- Infrastructure improvements in all quadrants of the city
Living in a healthy and green city
- Mandatory recycling for multi family buildings and commercial buildings
- Green cart pilot – in 2017 there will be green cart composting for every home
- Ctrain system is procured by wind generated electricity
- Solar power support systems to buildings in Calgary
- Have the highest quality water in the world
Living in a city of inspiring neighbourhoods
- 14,000 Syrian refugees moved to Calgary in 2016
- Neighbour day celebrated it’s 3rd year in the city
Ensuring a well run city
- Council is holding a line on taxes and fees while investing
- Budget was passed unanimously this year
- Approximately $66.2 million is being spent in 2017 in fee relief for: transit fares, planning and development, recreation, landfill and green cart
Watch Mayor Nenshi whole year in review video above.